by Rena Klingenberg.
In this interchangeable jewelry tutorial, we’ll use a choker-length chain necklace plus a bracelet – and hook them together to make a longer necklace.
The choker and bracelet can be worn individually:
And each piece fastens with the same spiral wire hook clasp design (or you can use any other type of clasp – lobster, etc.):
So you can simply open the choker and bracelet, and hook them together with the spiral wire hook clasps:
. . . to make a longer necklace:
- Choker-length chain – with links that are open enough to attach jump rings to them.
- Bead bracelet – from my Messy Wire-Wrapped Bead Chain Bracelet Tutorial.
- 2 clasps, such as lobster clasps, etc. I used Wire spiral hook clasps – from my Wire Spiral Hook Clasps Tutorial – one clasp for the chain choker, and one for the bracelet.
- 4 sturdy jump rings – 2 for the choker and 2 for the bracelet; about 9mm size.
- Chain nose / flat nose pliers – for opening and closing jump rings.
How to Combine a Choker and Bracelet
to Make a Necklace:
First, hop on over to make a bracelet from my Messy Wire-Wrapped Bead Chain Bracelet Tutorial:
Make two clasps from my Wire Spiral Hook Clasps Tutorial – so you’ll have one clasp for the chain choker, and one for the bracelet:
Now we’ll make the choker.
Start with your choker-length chain:
Twist open two of your jump rings, and thread them through the ends of your choker chain:
Twist the jump rings shut.
Attach one of the spiral wire hook clasps to one of the choker jump rings:
Your finished choker should look something like this:
Open the choker and bracelet and line them up like this:
. . . and use the hook clasps to attach the two pieces together:
You can easily unhook the pieces to wear the choker and bracelet individually.
And just as easily, you can hook them together into the longer necklace again:
Want to Learn the Basics of
Designing Your Own Wire Jewelry?
In my Design and Make Artistic Jewelry Components video class, you’ll learn how to get great ideas for wire jewelry designs – and then follow my easy system for turning those ideas into successful pieces of jewelry.
By the end of this online video class, you’ll be designing and making your own artistic earwires, clasps, connectors, and pendant bails.
You’ll also learn my tips for making wire jewelry more easily, with more professional looking results.