Can Someone Please Identify these Stones?

by Barbara.
(USA)

Can anyone please identify the stones in this necklace? Thank you.

Can Someone Please Identify these Stones?  Discussion on Jewelry Making Journal

What type of stone are these?

Can Someone Please Identify these Stones?  Discussion on Jewelry Making Journal

Barbara

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Be the first to know the newest secrets
of making and selling jewelry...

free subscription to Jewelry Business Success News

Comments

1. Lawanna says:

They look like agate. Possible Botswana

2. I suppose they are green indian jade

3. Margaret says:

Zebra Jasper?

4. Brenda Ash says:

botswana agate

5. If it’s not glass I guess it is some kind of Agate

6. Not botswana. Perhaps quartz? Or flourite? Some label unidentifiable stones as “confusite” … you could always do that! lol

7. Looks like banded agate!

8. Nancy Peterson says:

Maybe faux polymer clay agats and beads made with transulent clay. This is what I’ve been trying to learn with polymer clay.

9. Colleen says:

Maybe zebra Quartz?

10. Linda Dyson says:

The striped ones look like a type of adventurine agate, with clear/opaque Quartz or agate accent stones. Adventurine agate is a green olive color, sometimes comes as a striped stone mixed with the clear or white Quartz. I love the green color, so I buy them sometimes.

11. Constantinescu Gabriela says:

It’s possible to be Tree Agate type, the big ones, and some kind of Quartz, the small nugget beads.

12. Leslie hirschberg says:

Green ones look like vintage German glass that I have

13. they appear to be glass…are they ice cold when held to the face? if not, they are not stone

14. These do not appear to be natural. Probably glass.

15. Natalie says:

They also look like lampwork beads

16. The striped beads do look like Zebra Jasper.

17. I have been studying gemstones for a long time and please understand it is very difficult to tell a stone by a picture. So far you have gotten some pretty good advice. Without testing I would guess three, most likely, stones. 1st, Quartz, 2nd Agate, 3rd glass. One of the easiest and 1st test I do has already been mentioned. Hold the bead, (without much handling first), to your upper lip. Have a bead that you know is glass and one you know is stone to compare it to. If it is a stone it will be colder and stay colder longer than a glass bead. Sorry that I can’t be more specific, but there are so many types of stones. I hope it helps a little bit? One more thing, go to your local lapidary or rock shop. They can be a great help!

18. The opaque grey and white ones are definitely “wound glass”, very likely from India. I would venture to say the same for the other large stripey ones (the translucent and grey/black ones). This type of wound glass technique is also referred to as hurricane glass (I’m not sure why).

As far as the smaller transparent and white/grey ones–I think they are also glass, and (IMO) are the nicest beads in the picture. They are probably the rarest beads in the photo, due to their transparency, clarity, etc……and they may be of Japanese or West German origin (mid 20th cent.).

Because the white faceted beads have an obvious *seam* in the middle, we know they are also artificial (not stone), either glass or some variety of plastic. I can not really say which just from this photo.

19. Carol C. says:

I don’t have any special bona fides to give weight to my opinion. But I have been beading and stringing for over 30 years and teaching for the last 10. Anyway, photos are the worst way to identify bead material. Size, color, what they cost and where purchased can help greatly in identification. Having said that, I will venture my best opinion. I believe all of the beads pictured are glass. They may be dyed or otherwise altered to mimic a stone, but the translucence of all the beads would suggest glass to me. I believe someone suggested a way to tell the difference between stone and glass. It is a legitimate test to determine material.
    I hope you have found the comments useful. All best and happy beading!!

Share Your Thoughts