Sid the Sloth – Etched Pendant

by Tammy Baalman.
(Willis, Texas)

Sid the Sloth - Etched Pendant by Tammy Baalman  - featured on Jewelry Making Journal

Sid the Sloth

Wanting to incorporate more etched components into some of my pieces, I created a pendant of a tribal turtle for myself and posted it online. The response was overwhelming, so I decided to create a line of cute critters. One of my favorite pieces is a baby sloth that I created.

Original drawing

On paper I traced the outline of a sloth, imported it into my Silhouette Curio software and sectioned it out into pieces.

Spray paint resist and pattern applied with Curio and scribe

I spray painted silver sheet for a resist, etched the pattern using the Silhouette Curio to expose the metal and added the fur with a scribe. I etched the pieces in Ferric Nitrate, sawed out the pieces and soldered them together.

Sid is taking shape

I created the limb that he hangs from by twisting multiple strands of wire and melting it. After applying the patina, this little sloth came to life.

Tammy Baalman
TorchStone Jewelry
TorchStone Jewelry FB Business Page

• Tammy, Sid is charming, and it’s fun to see each step he went through before he was ready to hang from his branch! I can see wildlife organizations, zoo shops, and natural history museums being interested in selling your animal pendants as upscale artisan items.

• Thank you Rena!

• Judy Bjorkman says:

Thank you, Tammy, for a delightful “tutorial” of a very charming piece!
    Judy Bjorkman

• Laura says:

Love Love Love the Sid very much!!!!!! Laura Joseph

• Tammy Baalman says:

Thank you Judy and Laura!

• Jodi Glover says:

Judy,
    You are soooo very creative. I’m in love with Sid, I not only want to wear him, I want to hug him too! Great Work, & Thanks for sharing .
    Jodi

• Tammy Baalman says:

Thank you Jodi for the sweet comments.

• amanda thompson says:

That is SO darling! I love sloths and you did an amazing job. I have a couple questions. Not sure how long ago this post was or if you will see, but here I go if you do.

Did you use the etch tool for your Silhouette or an acid etch. It confuses me because the etch tools seem more like engraving, but I’ve never used one.

I have a brand new Cricut what I bought specifically to design and cut out etch resists for acid etching. I have never used it because I have so many things going on I haven’t had the time to figure it out.

I am thinking about buying the etch tool for my Cricut. I have several friends that have pets and want to make gifts from photos.

I love your idea about using a scribe for the fur. Was there anything special you did to prepare or do that? I have tried engraving and understand that it is quite a skill to master. I would be much more interested drawing etching fur because of the nature shapes and because it seems easier.

Thanks for sharing and any information you can provide.