Showing My First Jewelry Pieces

by Rups.
(San Francisco, California USA)

Rups Showing My First Jewelry Pieces

Hello all,
Hope all are doing good. I am an IT engineer by profession however I got an interest in making handmade jewelry recently (sp. inspired by Rena and this community) I am passionate about creativity art from my childhood.

Rups Showing My First Jewelry Pieces-2Here is the result of my work over the few weeks. I am still in learning mode…lot to learn.

Rups Showing My First Jewelry Pieces-3

Please say something about my work as I am going to start my own business soon. Any advise, suggestions are welcome.

Rups Showing My First Jewelry Pieces-4Thank you,
Rups

• Random says:

Looks good, love the beaded necklace……but a couple of tips from a fellow novice wire worker… your wire has a lot of tool marks. You can prevent these with a couple of tricks …. You can either use nylon tipped pliers and other wire working pliers, dip your tools in tool magic, or use a bit of painters tape to cover your tool tips. These will help your wire look less marred. Unless the marring was intentional…. Your wire spirals may need more practice too. I have taken some scrap wire and sat in front of the tv practicing my spirals and bends and such to get better. It takes a while but practicing really does pay off.

• Jeanine says:

Consider the durability of your pieces. Tug on them to see if the spirals will let go. Run your fingers across them to see if anything snags or pulls out of shape. Wear them for a full day to see how they hold up.

• cora says:

Hey Rups. In looking at your pictures I noticed the same thing that “Random” said. The reason I have not taken the plunge yet is because my finishes are not polished enough for prime time yet. Practice is so hard, but necessary. If the “marred look” is what you are after I think it would look better with something other than crystals, maybe matte beads or fabric. I love the turquoise piece.

• Caron Lambert says:

Hey Rups. The pieces are lovely, and I won’t echo the mention of the tool marks. Sometimes they add character, but if that is not the finish you are looking for, you have already gotten tips on how to get rid of them. My best advice is to buy the very best tools you can afford. Everyone has a favorite type, but I like Wubbers pliers and Lindstrom cutters. Also, be sure you have the right tool for the right use. You’re doing great! There are lots of good tips on here. Enjoy this new passion!

• Leslie says:

Congratulations on working hard on your creations. It’s fun to be creative. Just my opinion but there are so many colors going on in each piece that it made my eyes dizzy. Consider choosing complimentary colors (just a few shades or just shades of one color) or ones that blend together and see how the response is. The mixed colors are hard to wear with “everything” and might be a more limiting palette. Look at what others make (magazines, books, online) for some ideas of pleasing colors. Best wishes for a successful future.

• irina dalah says:

Hi Rups!

Welcome to the club – I was a programmer before I became a beadweaver 😉

I like your designs very much, and your photography is good too. Of course, both need a bit more work.
    I personally find that pendants go better with something to hung them on – chain, cord, ready made wires like these:
    firemountaingems.com/search/?Keywords=Necklace%2C++coated+stainless+steel

Also, your pictures can benefit of a bit more lighting – they look a bit shadowy on my screen – they may look ever darker on others.
    Keep to a nice, smooth one-color background for your items. while props and flowers add to the artsy feel, they keep the buyer from seeing the real jewelry creation.

I found that textiles, other than silk or velvet, really don’t go well with jewelry photography – the textile’s texture comes up ugly. I like to use paper (I’ve bought the cheaper, smaller pack of pastel colored printing paper) for my items. even with a monochromatic piece, a plain background emphasizes the jeweler’s art.

good luck,
    irina

• Rups says:

Thank you everyone for your precious advise. I will keep everything is mind.
    It is so nice to get tips from you guys.

Cheers!