Searching for a Lobster Clasp

by Barbara Solomon.
(California USA)

680810I need this info, for an Adjustable Neck Wire.

Where can I find 7mm X 9mm lobster clasps in copper and sterling?

What is the best all-purpose chain size/type for an extension chain?

There are so many different sizes and types, that I don’t know where to start!

Thanks!

Barbara Solomon

• Hi Barbara! A curb chain with fairly open links is a good style for adjustable closures. Other chain styles with “holey” links can also be used for this purpose.

Also, the lobster clasps don’t have to be exactly 7x9mm for the neckwire. I probably wouldn’t go much smaller than 7x9mm for this neckwire, but larger sizes should work well too.

As for sources of clasps – I often buy jewelry supplies and findings on Etsy – it’s easy to search for what you need there, and I have had very positive experiences with sellers there.

You might also try at your local craft store if you have one – many craft stores have a weekly coupon for 40% off one item, and you may be able to get a package of clasps less expensively with that 40% coupon than via other sources.

• HELEN says:

Rio Grande is where I get my metal findings. Great quality

• Hello, look for wholesalers, such as wholesalejewelrysupply.com, beadwholesaler.com and Fire Mountain Gems. Hope that helps. Cassy

• Mary B says:

I get some of my sterling silver findings from monsterslayer.com, artbeads.com, jewelrysupply.com and Fire Mountain Gems.

• Elsie Anderson says:

tx-beads.com is a wholesale company that can found at the yearly Tucson Gem & Mineral. Very reasonable, fast service. They also carry silver-filled items. I have purchased from them for more than 15 years.

• LESLIE hIRSCHBERG says:

etsy Unkamman Supplies has great stuff very nice quality and will find what u want. He made me jump rings in the color I wanted!

• Judith says:

I’ve found great prices and quality on lobster clasps at FineDings.net, though not always the greatest selection. But they invite feedback if you need something they don’t have.

• Bunie says:

In addition to riogrande.com and monsterslayer.com, I use siifindings.com. Frequently, SII has the better price for findings.

• Barbara S. says:

Hi,

I couldn’t wait to buy the chain and lobster clasp. I discovered, I had some copper chain and I made a simple clasp. It worked perfectly. I really like the Adjustable Neck Wire!

Thank you for all the answers, to my question. Eventually, I hope to make the ANW in sterling. Then, I’ll know where to get all the supplies.

Thank you!

Barbara

• It’s also fun to make your own clasp by forging Sterling Silver, Copper or Brass wire into “S curved” loops. I think it makes the whole piece look more original and artistic. It’s also a great way to make use of scrap pieces of wire.

You can find all kinds of handmade clasp instructions on YouTube or from jewelry instruction books in your local library.