Postage Stamp Jewelry Tutorial

by Rena Klingenberg.

Postage Stamp Jewelry Tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

postage stamp jewelry tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

Postage stamp jewelry tutorial by Rena Klingenberg. (“A Love Letter from Autumn” necklace.)

This postage stamp jewelry tutorial is an easy way to preserve and enjoy gorgeous stamps.

Postage stamp earrings by Rena Klingenberg

Postage stamp earrings – “A Love Letter from Autumn” by Rena Klingenberg

You could even create a collage of several stamps instead of focusing on just one stamp as I’ve done.

Postage stamp earrings tutorial

In this tutorial, we make the front AND the back pretty!

Supplies:

• Postage stamps.
  • Small pieces of scrapbooking paper (or other paper that contrasts nicely with your stamps).
  • Thin cardboard that can be cut slightly larger than your postage stamps; I used a breakfast cereal box:

Cardboard from cereal box
  • Beads and wire or other findings for making dangles to hang on the bottom of your stamp component (I used briolette beads and 24-gauge black Artistic Wire).
  • Jump rings and findings for turning your stamp component into earrings or a necklace.
  • OPTIONAL: Eyelets to reinforce the holes punched in your stamp component.
  • Ruler.
  • Pencil.
  • Scissors or paper cutter.
  • Sharpie marker in a color similar to your scrapbooking paper.
  • Small amount of Mod Podge, the glue / sealer for decoupage projects (be sure to read and follow the advice on the Mod Podge jar):

Mod Podge
  • A piece of waxed paper to protect the surface where you use the Mod Podge.
  • Flat nose, chain nose, and round nose pliers.
  • Wire cutting tool.
  • Tool for making 2 holes in your Mod-Podged cardboard component (I used a punch-and-eyelet tool, but you could also use an ice pick, paper punch, etc.).

Postage Stamp Jewelry Tutorial:

These lovely stamps traveled to my house on an envelope from Canada a few years ago:

Canadian postage stamps for jewelry tutorial

To remove them from the envelope, we’ll need to soak them face-down in an inch or two of water, to soften the glue that sticks them to the envelope:

soak postage stamps in water to remove from envelope

CAUTION: When the stamps are wet, they can tear easily. So it’s important not to peel them off the envelope.

Instead, soak them until they’re practically falling off the envelope on their own.

Then you can VERY gently lift them off a little at a time, and place them face-down (so any residual glue doesn’t stick) on a paper towel to dry:

gently remove stamps from envelope

While the stamps are drying, cut your piece of cardboard into a size that’s a little larger than your stamp – and in any shape you like.

Here are my cardboard pieces:

cardboard for postage stamp jewelry

And the other side of them:

back of cardboard for postage stamp earrings

Use your Sharpie marker to color the edges of your cardboard pieces, so the finished jewelry will have edges that match the rest of the piece:

color the cardboard edges with a Sharpie

Now measure and cut your scrapbooking paper.

Each piece of your cardboard needs 2 pieces of scrapbooking paper: One piece of paper to cover the front, and a second piece to cover the back.

Because postage stamps are the focal element in this jewelry project, I chose paper that looked like an old letter.

I knew the stamps would feel very much at home with it.

Quick Detour:

I just have to share this fact about the scrapbooking paper I used (which I found in my Mom’s paper scrap leftovers drawer):

It had already been cut up for previous paper projects, and the shape that was left happened to look exactly like a Scottie dog waiting for someone to shake his paw:

Scottie dog!

The leftover scrapbooking paper that looks like a Scottie dog!

I love discoveries like that! 🙂

OK, now back to making jewelry.

Spread your waxed paper over the surface where you’ll be using the Mod Podge.

We’re going to work on the BACK side of your cardboard pieces first.

Place your cardboard pieces on the waxed paper. Have the scrapbooking paper that you’ll be putting on the back sides of these pieces waiting nearby.

Now use your finger to scoop up some Mod Podge and spread it all over the surface of one of your cardboard pieces.

Make sure the entire surface of the back is well covered with Mod Podge:

spread the Mod Podge

. . . and then quickly place your scrapbooking paper on top of the Mod Podge. Slide it around to center it, and press down on all surfaces, especially the edges.

If you have any paper hanging over the edges of your cardboard, trim it with scissors and then use your fingers to press the paper’s edges down securely.

Once the paper’s in place, scoop up another dab on Mod Podge on your finger and spread it completely over the top of the paper.

Then do the same with your other piece of cardboard:

Mod Podging postage stamp jewelry

Now use a hair-dryer on a low setting to make the Mod Podge dry faster.

Keep the dryer moving around, and don’t let the newly Mod Podged cardboards blow away or get too warm:

Drying Mod Podge with a hair dryer

When they’re dry, they’ll look like this:

Now we’re going to work on the FRONT sides.

So once the back sides of your cardboard pieces are dry, turn them over so the front side faces up, and set them on a clean part of your waxed paper.

Now Mod Podge the remaining scrapbooking paper to the front sides of your cardboards.

After you spread Mod Podge over the top surface of the paper, carefully place your postage stamp where you’d like it to be.

Press down on all surfaces of the stamp – starting in the center and pressing outward from there, to prevent the stamp from wrinkling.

After the stamp is glued in place with Mod Podge, scoop up another dab of Mod Podge on your finger and use it to cover the entire front surface (including the stamp):

Mod Podge postage stamp jewelry

When this coat of Mod Podge is completely dry (you can speed it along with the hair-dryer), spread a small amount of Mod Podge along each Sharpie-colored edge of the cardboard.

When the edges have dried, spread a second coat over the entire front surface and let it dry completely.

Once both pieces of cardboard are completely dry, punch a hole in the top and bottom of each:

making postage stamp jewelry

A view of the back after punching:

back side of postage stamp earrings

If you’re using eyelets, go ahead and insert them in the holes and crimp them in place:

eyelets to reinforce holes

Because the cardboard postage stamp component is so lightweight, it’s important to include some sort of dangle at the bottom to make it hang well instead of floating.

Make your bead dangles and use jump rings to attach them to the bottom hole in each of your postage stamp components:

attach bead dangles to bottom hole

If you’re making a necklace, add a jump ring plus a cord or chain in the top hole:

postage stamp jewelry - necklace

If you’re making earrings, add two jump rings and an earwire in each top hole:

postage stamp jewelry - earrings

Postage stamp jewelry is wonderfully light and comfortable – and very susceptible to compliments! 🙂

postage stamp jewelry tutorial by Rena Klingenberg

• Elena Arreni says:

OMG!!! This project is amazing (like all your ideas) I can’t wait to try it!!! When I was a kid I used to collect postcards and I still have tons of them so I’m sure I’ll find some nice stamp to use… 😉

• Tamara says:

Very neat, Rena! I was curious as to what you’d come up with for these. And you’re so good at knowing and teaching all the little details involved in completing these projects.

• alicia says:

Oh Wow! I’m going to make these but instead of stamps I’m going to print my daughters new school logo and create jewelry that she can wear to the homecoming game, or any other fun school function.

Alicia
    JMJ Content Specialist

• Thanks, y’all! 🙂 I really appreciate your kind feedback.

Alicia, what a great idea for jewelry with your daughter’s school logo!

• Tamara says:

I forgot to say – love the Scottie dog! i love that your mind works that way too! 🙂

• Donna says:

Thank you so much. I really like this idea. It will make a great addition to my projects.

• What a cool idea! These earrings are so beautiful.

• Virginia says:

I love the postage stamp jewelry! Thanks for the tutorial.

• JoDee Luna says:

Love this DIY lesson and these earrings!

• Danni Baird says:

Love it! and just in time for fall! These are so pretty and I love the fall colored bead too! Thanks for the tip on removing postage stamps!

• saraccino says:

The earrings just look great! 🙂

• Norma says:

this is a super idea

• diane says:

Great idea! Love it!
    Found you on IMMhop
    Diane
    TreasuringGrace
    ATA Girls

• What an excellent idea. I totally would have never thought of it and they look so cute. Now to find the perfect stamps 🙂

• Random says:

I think these are really cute but I would definitely not make these for sale due to copyright issues related with postage stamp art.

• kim says:

love this adorable project, so unique! thanks for sharing at tip toe thru tuesday!

• Mel says:

What a cool idea, never seen anything like it, awesome!

• Thank you for this tutorial, it’s great!

• Christine says:

SOooooo UNIQUE!!! Love them all!

Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer… From Dream to Reality!

• Pam says:

Those are simply wonderful. I love them! Such a great tutorial. Thanks so much. I found you at Someday Crafts, and I’m so glad to find your blog. Hope you’ll stop by soon.

• love your idea for incorporating postage stamps into artwork – lovely way to take and ordinary item and make it extra special.

• PJ says:

My husband served in the US Navy after we were married, I still have every letter he ever sent me from boot camp, I think a necklace made out of one of the stamps from those letters would be amazing <3 thanks for sharing this.

• Rebecca says:

These are so cute! Such a good idea – stamps can be so pretty so this is a fab way to use them! Thanks for sharing
    Rebecca

• Great idea….the same process could be used for so many different projects.
    Thank you for this Tutorial.

• Glaudius says:

That is very cool. I like the fact that there is so many choices of stamps and focal beads that you literally have an infinity of possible combinations.
    Also @Random : There is no copyright issues if you sell items made of actual stamps because you already paid the author when you bought the stamp. If you were to reproduce the image of the stamp, that would be another issue.

• Ann Widner says:

This is such a neat project – the jewelry you created is beautiful!! I love the idea of using scrapbooking paper. I make photo jewelry from my original images, and I use epoxy resin to coat my pieces. I might try my own version of this and use resin on top of the modge podge to seal it on both sides and all around. You’re so creative, Rena… you’re truly an inspiration to many people!!

• Karen Schulz says:

Love the inspiration and the result. Awesome. Thanks for sharing such a great tutorial. Visiting from Sew Darn Crafty. Cheers Karen

• Marci says:

Gorgeous! -Marci

• Cathy says:

One would never think you got this from starting from a cereal box. You are very creative and your tutorial is so good even I could follow and do. I also enjoyed your side trip to the “scotty” dog, very cute!

• Linda says:

Wow. Just loving this and pinning, too. Thank s for this.

Linda

• Those turned out beautiful. What a fun and pretty upcycle project! Thank you for sharing at TTF. Have a fun day!

• Thank you for participating in Show Your Stuff Blog Hop, You are invited to come back.

• Julie says:

I love this jewelry! Thanks so much for sharing on Marvelous Mondays!

Julie

• Jill @ Create.Craft.Love. says:

That is awesome! And such a great tutorial!!

• cc says:

I love this!! Thank you for sharing the tutorial! I can’t wait to try this.

• Lizzy Allan says:

What a cute idea! I love it! This is definitely going on my ‘to do’ list.

• Brianna says:

Hi! This is such a cool idea 🙂 I love it!

• crystelle says:

What a fabulous idea! I love postage stamps and it is so hard to come up with ways to display them where they can get the attention they diserve1 I love this…! 🙂

hugs x Crystelle

• Virginia says:

I love the earrings! Thanks for the tutorial.

• Tanya says:

I am seeing a postage stamp earring for the first time. Very innovative and the tutorial is amazing.

• lattegirl40 says:

These are fantastic!! What a great tutorial!!

• Great idea! These are amazing!
    Havea nice day!
    Hugs!!!

• Linda says:

I love postage stamps and what a great way to show off their beauty. Fun idea and thanks for sharing.

• Barb says:

Very cool stamp ear rings! I have found some vintage stamps that would work well for this too. I once saw a table top covered and then modge podged with stamps. It was beautiful! I am a letter writing advocate so I especially love your creation. You may enjoy my blog where I gush about all things paper and letter writing

• natashalh says:

What a great idea! I like making jewelry with stamps, but I’ve always put them in resin. This is a really neat alternative!

• Susan says:

How lovely. These would make a wonderful travel souvenir. Thanks for sharing.

• JaneEllen says:

Love this idea, great looking earrings. Could they maybe be used for links on a necklace also? I’m always looking at things in new ways. Great tutorial also. Love your blog.

• Thanks so much, JaneEllen!
    Yes, I think a collection of stamps would make fantastic necklace links. For wearability, I wouldn’t make them too large, and if you mod-podge the stamps to cardboard or other backing, I would round the corners of the backing. My postage stamp jewelry here would be more wearer-friendly if the corners were not sharp angles.

• What a great idea and it could be applied to other items like luggage tags.

• Aww these are great 🙂

Thanks for sharing with us.