Out of My Gourd!

by Heather Otto.
(Austin, Texas US)

Caught In Jasper

Since I am new to the wonderful world of selling the jewelry I make, I am low on “professional” supplies such as necklace displays that look like necks!

I tried the “draping over a rock” idea for awhile, and had some really great photos of some of my work, but I wanted something that more closely resembled a neck to demonstrate how well my necklaces hung.

Autumn Winds

Standing on my patio, looking around, my eye rested on an old gourd leftover from last October, nicely weathered and rustic-perfect for what I needed!

I have received many compliments on the idea, (and one funny “you must have great marketing skills if you can sell a necklace to a gourd!) so I thought I’d share this with you.

Heather Otto
Mama’s Craft Room
Mama’s Craft Room at Etsy

• Elena Arreni says:

Oh my my, if you can sell a necklace to a gourd you relly are good 😉 😉
    Your display looks really nice, I like “Autumn winds” but the gourd color in my opinion is too similar to the color of the central stone, they kind of “merge” together, I suggest to use a different backdrop for this piece, I think that a plain color would be better because the pendant stands out and draws attention.

• Kim says:

I agree with the above suggestions.
    I do love the gourd as display tho. Such creativity!
    If I get any ideas for other natural materials to show off your beautiful necklaces, I will let you know. Personally, I do not like the necklace displays that look like necks kind of ho-hum. But I do appreciate their use and understand how they do work to show off a necklace.

I am just embarking on a jewelry business, online, so greatly appreciate this website!

Seems to be very open, collaborative, and sharing ideas, love it!

Kim Williamson
    Comfort, TX US

• Diane Smith says:

I love your idea of the gourd! Especially in the autumn months of the year. With the earthy nature of your jewelry creations, the natural displays look wonderful! Rocks used to be my favorite background for my jewelry designs and then I found that certain shapes of pottery could be used, as well.

• Lee Ann Hinskey says:

Heather, I love your gourd idea!! Good eye! I love anything from nature that will compliment our work. Photographing your jewelry well, I find, is so much harder than making it!! I have many different props I use. There is not one thing that is perfect for everything. You could have a few different colors of fabrics that you drape over the gourd, therefore keeping that wonderful shape, yet choosing a fabric that will contrast your jewelry enough to really showcase it!

• Alicia says:

I actually love the gourd’s neutral colours – yes, they are close to the jewelry… but they are also very close to some skin colours too! Which will show the wearer exactly how the necklace will look on their skin 🙂 And as Lee Ann suggested, the gourd can be ‘dressed’ (some silk scarfs will be a great idea, or simply swatches of fabric) to suggest various clothing appearance.

Very clever idea!

• Dita says:

Great idea. I love your jewelry piece. Dita

• Tricia says:

I love It!!!!

• ronald jenkins says:

i love to learn more on making things out of gourds or other things. i love these sites.

• Sally says:

I love your gourd display. Your jewelry pieces are amazing too. Truly one-of-a-kind display idea, dear….

• Sally Evans says:

Heather,
    I think the gourds are a clever natural display too. I have seen some very nice displays at craft shows where they were using a slab of wood for each necklace that was very striking. You could alter the color of the wood with stain, etc. depending on the jewelry piece so it stands out.

Your necklaces look great – nice work!

• Lois D says:

Heather,
    “Gourd-eous” idea, Heather! I, too, love your creative displays. Your jewelry is beautiful as well. Thank you for sharing this clever idea!

• Janet says:

Those necklaces are very beautiful. The gourds do give an earthy feel and are attractive displays. Eye catching use of nature!

• Carol Burton says:

I love the gourd idea!. I think the wire you use is a perfect match! Your work is truly lovely! Thanks for the gourd idea!

• Vicki Entrekin says:

I also love the gourd idea … yours has the perfect color and shape. I also love photographing around greenery. So anything natural or rustic really stands out. Plus, your jewelry is amazing. Keep up the good work. I believe it was Alicia who said that your gourd colors are a great match for skin tones.
    So, good job and keep up the good work! I think you will do quite well!