Making Jewelry is Good for Your Health

by Joan Kaplan, MA, LMT.
(Bodhi Jewels)

Joan Kaplan - making jewelry is good for your health

Bodhi Jewelry by Joan Kaplan

Really? Now you’re probably scratching your head and wondering what I’m talking about. How can making jewelry be good for your health?

Well, because I am a jewelry artisan as well as a healing coach and spiritual mentor, I have a real interest in creative expression and health.

Creative expression in any form you feel moved to express yourself is healing, liberating, and brings you closer to the core of who you are.

If making jewelry provides the medium for you to bring your inner creativity to the material world, then it is a healthful process for you to be engaged in – not to mention the beautiful result that someone will love!

Joan Kaplan - Bodhi Jewelry

Bodhi Jewelry by Joan Kaplan

Pay attention to your inner voice, your inner calling; pay attention to what you love.

Yes, some of the stepping stones on your path to health, wellbeing, and awakening are to be found in allowing yourself the freedom to express your uniqueness.

Expressing yourself through the creation of your jewelry is one way to do this.

Abraham Maslow, one of the founders of humanistic psychology and transpersonal psychology, said it like this:

“My feeling is that the concept of creativeness and the concept of the healthy,
self-actualizing, fully human person seem to be coming closer and closer together,
and may perhaps turn out to be the same thing.”

So be happy, have fun, and enjoy making something beautiful!

May the Light of All Good Things Surround You . . . .

Joan Kaplan
Bodhi Coach
Bodhi Jewels

• Maureen Crisp says:

Thanks for sharing this insight, Joan. It is something I have always felt about jewellry-making – even just threading one bead after another is very therapeutic and could surely be of help to people with any mental health issues. When I’m feeling low, I just have to think about beading and caressing my beads and I can quickly raise a smile of anticipation!

I’d be glad to hear further thoughts on this subject if you or anyone else has more to share.

Wishing you All That’s Best
    Maureen Crisp

• Thank you for this lovely post, Joan. It’s so true . . . jewelry-making just plain makes people feel better and provides a channel for healing.

In fact, I’ve often thought that when the leaders of warring countries get together to form treaties, everybody should just sit down and make a necklace before the meetings begin!

Maureen, I so agree that even the anticipation of sitting down for a jewelry-making session can trigger a sense of “I feel better already”.

And how therapeutic it can be to string one bead after another. It’s almost meditative – I wonder if stringing and other jewelry activities put us into a deeper brainwave state?

I truly believe that creative flow is a powerfully healing, centering experience. I have felt physical issues, emotional pain, stress, and other negative things simply being washed away while I’m immersed in jewelry-making creativity.

• Pam says:

So true! I believe creative expression is a basic need for everyone, whether we realize it or not. It’s a way to connect to ourselves, whether it be jewelry, cooking, or the art of meticulous drywall finishing!

• Tamara says:

I agree with everyone. In thinking about this, I remembered a time a couple of years ago when I was going through a very difficult situation, and my attention and focus was on attempting to deal with it. At one point I just felt like I wanted to go and make jewelry.

I think it was because that felt like a safe, happy, normal place for me, and I needed to feel that. It kind of felt like a luxury for me to do that, but I think now it’s a necessity. I find that I can think and process things even as I create.

It doesn’t feel like an escape, but a safe place to go to put things in proper perspective, listen inwardly, and process.

• Lisa Briseno says:

Little did I know how therapeutic jewelry making was going to be for me. I suffer from anxiety and this has been the only thing to truly keep it at bay.

• Wow, so good post! It’s true and I agree with all comments.
    I’m actually novice and I started this hobby a month ago just because of that I want to feel better and have a fun. I found that beading is so relaxed.
    I’m an accountant but I want to stop with numbers, dates and stress and increase this amazing hobby into the real business.

• Joan Kaplan says:

Hello all of you wonderful women! I have just discovered these comments. I’m so glad that these ideas stimulated some conversation and hit the “aha” buttons for you. May you all be happy and enjoy making beautiful things. The happier and healthier we all are, the more peace and upliftment we can bring to those around us, hence contributing in our small way to a better world. Hi Rena! Thanks for all you do 🙂

• Mary Dawn says:

Making jewelry has literally saved me during my chronic illness. It gives me something to get up in the morning for, and gives my life focus now that I’m unable to work.

• Mary Dawn, I’m so glad you’ve had jewelry-making in your life during the difficult times! I wish you healing and relief with the lovely flow of your creativity.

• Sitting down with my pliers, wire or beads has always calmed me down.
    I can sit for hours and hours forgetting everything around me.

I just noticed that I have been beading for almost 9 hours today. 😮

Taking a break now to give my eyes some rest. 😀

• Joan Kaplan says:

I am so very happy that these thoughts continue to give meaning and support to many of you. From my heart, I wish you all the best and I might start contemplating something else I can write to inspire you all.
    Peace, Joan Kaplan

• Jane Petersen says:

Oh, so that’s why creating jewelry makes me forget to eat, yet I’m not hungry; makes me feel so happy and proud when something beautiful and unique emerges from trying numerous options for one piece; and why I feel so calm and serene while creating. The hours just slip away. You are so right when you say that creating improves mental health. By the way, your jewelry is beautiful!