Make Your Own Jewelry Booth Backdrop

by Kathi.
(Michigan USA)

Kathi Make Your Own Jewelry Booth Backdrop 1

I have seen many different types of back drops over the years but have noticed that not many of them are easily put together or transported. I did a lot of research and found the best choice for my budget was PVC pipe.

It’s easily put together, easily transported (I keep mine in a Christmas tree bag with wheels) and fairly inexpensive to make. All that’s needed is PVC  and a saw. This seemed the most economical at the time and although I might design it a bit differently, after 7 years I would still use PVC.

Directions:

Decide what size you would like (mine is 8ftx6ft) Remember after adding elbows and joints, this will increase the size of your back drop.

So, if you want a back drop 8ft by 6ft, subtract about 6 inches from the length and height (mine was too tall and I couldn’t reach the top and had to reduce the size by re-cutting the pvc- if you’re a little “vertically challenged” as I am, keep this in mind),

Assuming you are making a your backdrop 8 feet wide by 6 feet high this is what you will need:

• 6 pieces of pvc-3 ½ ft long (these are for the top and bottom and center brace-optional)
  • 6 pieces of pvc-2ft 9inches long (two sides and middle brace-required)
  • 4 pieces of pvc 1 ft long (feet)
  • 8-T connectors
  • 2-4 way connectors
  • 2-L connectors
  • 3-2 inch pieces of pvc to attach feet

Kathi Make Your Own Jewelry Booth Backdrop 2

Cut pvc to desired length and put together as shown in diagram. This takes some practice and I initially color coded mine to make it easier to assemble. After practice, it will only take about 5 minutes to assemble. I slip shear curtains on mine and added a drape across the top. I also hang my sign on the top.

Note*When positioned against the wall, I add only two feet and for safety use duct tape to fasten to wall. When not against the wall, I use all four feet and for safety duct tape to floor.

Kathi Make Your Own Jewelry Booth Backdrop 3
I also added two pieces of plastic dowel to the top of my backdrop to drape swag.

Kathi
My Beading Heart at Facebook

• Tammie E says:

Great idea, thanks for sharing. I did a show last weekend and although I like my set up quite a lot, the ‘visual chaos’ of all that was going on around me was distracting. I like your light and easy backdrop tutorial.

• IZZY and I says:

I love the idea of PVC since i do not have help setting up my booth.
    And, it would fit in my CRV. Please let us know what the diameter PVC
    you are using and what the small square feet are made of.
    thank you for sharing.

• Kathi says:

The small squares are actually rubber caps that are used on the bottom of a ladder (can be found in most hardware stores). I used small pvc (I think it’s 1 inch) but the larger the backdrop the larger the pvc should be.

• oooooh, I like it!!!!
    Easy, light, cheap AND classy 🙂

• Drake says:

What do you mean when you say you “Clip” the fabric onto the frame? The photo looks like the sheer fabric is strung onto the pvc like a curtain rod. Is it more of a wrap-around and then pin?

I’ve been wanting to do some kind of backing for my booth. I’ve done something similar for my outdoor booth by putting a rod between the supports of my ez-up and hanging curtains off of that, but haven’t been able to come up with anything for indoor vending, and this looks like something that would work really well for me. (plus I’ve worked with PVC before to make my grow-light stand for seed starting in the spring)

• Kathi Ader says:

Drake, I think you misread it. It says slip, not clip:) I slip the curtain over the PVC.

K

• Nancy says:

Love this. What a great idea. And so easy…and cheap.

Thanks for sharing.

• Kim says:

Absolutely love this inexpensive idea, and am going to try it at my next show. Just curious how you made your sign, another easy project?

• Crystal says:

LOVE it!!! Thanks for the picture as well… I will certainly be using this soon – show next week!

• Kathi says:

Kim,
    I printed my sign using Avery design software (Avery makes a lot of the labels etc that you find at office stores). I printed it on my printer, cut and glued it together then bought a frame at Joann fabric. If you go to the avery website, they have free software downloads. I use it for all my signage.

• I love this! The places I show won’t allow anything to be attached to the walls & I want to hang my new banner. Thanks for all the measurements; I may be able to make this myself.

• Kathi says:

Laura,
    My backdrop lasted a long time but I sadly said goodbye to it. I now have a better, cheaper and easier solution! A photographers backdrop. It has tripod legs that telescope up with a bar that attaches at the top. I slip my curtains across the rod and then clip my banner on the top. I bought it on eBay for approximately $40. Good luck!

• Barbara Smith says:

Wonderful idea! I’ve been trying to figure out what I could do for a backdrop.