Jewelled Denim Pocket Purses

by Tamara Summers.
(Sarnia, Ontario, Canada)

I created a few of my denim pocket purses, and used a couple of other non-jewellery items in these pieces.

TSummers: Jewelled Denim Pocket Purses 1

I made a purse incorporating some fun, fall-inspired colourful buttons and vintage earrings. A bit of lace, a bit of chain, some bling, and a leather cord for the handle, and the purse was done. I had one more vintage earring available, and decided to make a ring from it.

TSummers: Jewelled Denim Pocket Purses 2

I wanted to carry the denim theme through, so used one of the belt loops I had cut from my pants. I attached it to a filigree ring base. I had wanted to find some ways to use the belt loops as well. This is a funky, colourful set which was very fun to make.

My “Joy” pocket purse includes a big bright pink silk flower and stitched little flowers with crystal centres. I learned how to embroider from an elderly aunt as a young girl, and the embroidery floss I used here is decades old.

TSummers: Jewelled Denim Pocket Purses 3

It has a vintage look to it, but hopefully with a fresh twist. I used a vintage chain for the handle to complete the look. I so enjoyed making this, and love looking at it, because it combines my first craft of embroidery with my second and third ones of floral design and jewellery making.

Then I did a denim pocket purse incorporating another love of mine, cats! The kitties were made of repurposed gold and silver faux leather from purses. These little girl kitties are BFFs, shown by the fact that they are sharing a single favourite pair of earrings :D.

TSummers: Jewelled Denim Pocket Purses 4

It looks like they are pausing for a picture as they take a walk down a fall garden-lined path. I enjoyed stitching a couple of my flowers here too. I made them to look like fall mums. I used a couple of the belt loops along the back cut edge of this purse, and a chain for the handle.

I’ve really been having a good time creating all these different styles of little denim purses. I’m hoping people will love them. They would be great with a little extra gift tucked inside. 🙂

Tamara Summers
Pink Pearls and Potpourri at Etsy

• Noreen says:

What cute and clever ways you’ve decorated these denim pockets! And you even used a belt loop for a ring! You haven’t wasted a single bit of denim.

• Tamara says:

Thank you, Noreen – I do love to upcycle! 😀

• Tamara, I absolutely love these! Embroidery adds such a pretty touch to your pockets, and your denim ring is the cutest thing! A very cool way to create accessories. Also I LOVE that your BFF kitties in the last photo share the single pair of favorite earrings. They add personality to the piece.

• Sheila Meador says:

Those are so darn cute! Thanks for sharing them with us.

• Colleen says:

These are so cute! Love the idea of reusing/inventing stuff.

• Tamara says:

Thank you so much, Rena! I always greatly value your comments on my latest creations :). I realize that they are not technically jewellery, even though I include jewellery-making techniques and supplies into them, so I won’t continue to share further ones I make here (unless I make a matching piece of jewellery for them maybe), but I did want the community here to see them. And your challenge got me following through with this idea right away, so I’m thankful! I have to say though that I am hooked on making them! I see endless possibilities for ideas. And I’m also seeing that one of the things I love about making these is creating a little story about the picture on the pocket, like the BFF fashionista kitties sharing a pair of favourite earrings as they stop and pose for a picture on their walk through the fall garden, lol. I love including my love of writing in with my art creating. 🙂

• Tamara says:

Thank you so much, Sheila and Colleen! 🙂

• Andrea says:

Tamara, these are so positively adorable! I really love the big flower and you’re right, adding the embroidery flowers brought a more vintage feel to this piece. Did you glue the kitties to the denim and do you have a snap or a piece of Velcro keeping the tops from opening? I especially like how you added some edge-finish to the tops of the flower and button bags. I may have to try my hand at doing some of these to add to my jewelry inventory for little girls at my spring shows next year. Don’t worry, they’ll never look as cute as yours, but I just have to try this!
    You’re so clever and I love your trademark ‘flowers’ in your pieces
    Andrea

• Tamara says:

Hi Andrea! Thank you for your lovely comments! 🙂 I did glue the kitties to the denim. Denim has good grip-ability to attach things to. I didn’t add a snap or Velcro, but I thought about it. The purses are small, so they don’t really gape open at all. If someone requested that I could add it, or they could. Or if it is a common request, I would start adding them. And I did add something along the top of the back cut edge for every purse, I just couldn’t show all the backs.

By all means you should make some for your shows if you like them. They’ll have your flare to them, and I’m sure they’ll be adorable. 🙂 They also don’t have to all be for kids, as some of mine aren’t. Sometimes teens, young adults or anyone likes to have a very small purse for certain occasions.