How to Use Fringe Seed Beads?

by Catherine Smith.
(Oklahoma)

How to Use Fringe Seed Beads?   - Discussion on Jewelry Making Journal

I ordered some dark amber fringe seed beads because they went with an autumn theme I had in mind for a necklace.

What I had in mind didn’t work.

I tried stringing them spaced with Swarovski crystals in between, but realized I didn’t have enough to make a necklace.

Do you have any suggestions on how else I could use them?

I tend to order things from a catalog with big ideas, then when I get my order it doesn’t turn out to be what I expected.

I bought a book awhile back on beadweaving, but nothing about fringe beads in it. Thank you!

Catherine Smith

• Sarah Small says:

Had to do a quick google search, but looks like “fringe” seed beads is another word for drop seed beads… essentially an offset hole with the other end being kinda bulbous.

these types of beads can work in a log of different patterns such as spiral ropes, kumihimo, or as accents in a bezel.

Hope this gives you some ideas!

• Catherine says:

Thank you Sarah. When I ordered them, I saw an idea in catalog, but they didn’t work like I’d planned, but I finally used them for a bracelet and the rest for hoop earrings. They’re so different from the seed beads I usually use.

• Great question, Catherine! 🙂 Here’s one of my tutorials that might work for your beads: Beaded Hoop Earwires – depending on the size and shape of your fringe beads, you may want to put a small round seed spacer between each fringe bead. Let us know how you wind up using those beads – we’d love to see! 🙂

• Holly says:

Depending on the size of the beads, they can work well in kumihimo, or maybe as a picot edging on a peyote stitch bracelet.

• Catherine says:

Thank you Rena. I’ll try that.
    Thank you Holly. I’m still learning how to bead weave. I’ve got a book, but haven’t really got started on it yet.

• Janet says:

Although you made something already, if you get more, you can use them as a bottom section in a necklace rather than the entire necklace. Maybe alternate with crystals as in your original idea. Then just string other beads in complementary colors on either side. Hope that makes sense!

• Julie Spark says:

They would be good for the bottom bead in a dangle that becomes a fringe, with several combined,that’s attached to the focal bead, as in the tassels of a lariat!

• Great idea, Julie! That could be a really striking effect. 🙂