How to Make an Open Wire Spiral (Video)

Making Wire Jewelry with Rena
video by Rena Klingenberg.

Here’s how to make a lovely open spiral – a jewelry technique that’s useful in a variety of projects:

Supplies

For this practice session, you’ll need:

• A piece of wire that’s about 6 inches (15.24 cm) long. In this video I’m using 20-gauge round soft copper wire.
  • Round nose pliers.

Leaf & Vine Filigree Wire Bracelet

Heart Earwires

The Open Spiral
We Make in this Video:

open wire spiral by Rena Klingenberg

Want to Learn the Basics of
Designing Your Own Wire Jewelry?

Design and Make Artistic Jewelry Components Class In my Design and Make Artistic Jewelry Components video class, you’ll learn how to get great ideas for wire jewelry designs – and then follow my easy system for turning those ideas into successful pieces of jewelry.

By the end of this online video class, you’ll be designing and making your own artistic earwires, clasps, connectors, and pendant bails.

You’ll also learn my tips for making wire jewelry more easily, with more professional looking results.

• Tamara says:

These spirals are so beautiful, Rena, and so doable. I really need to incorporate them into my designs. Thanks for bringing them back up to my attention.

• Vicky says:

Hi Rena,
    Its my first time that i m write to you.
    I m from Greece and i study every newsletter that you sent!
    I love mettals and that tutorial its absolutelly perfect!

• Kris says:

Hi Rena,
    Great tutorial!

Do you have any suggestions on how to create two identical spirals so they could be used for earrings? Is it possible to spiral two wires at a time?

• Thank you for your lovely comments! πŸ™‚

Kris, just as a thought – once the earrings are being worn, no one will see them directly next to each other to compare the spirals or notice any differences.

And I always think slight differences between handmade earrings are part of the charm.

In my Zen Spiral Earrings tutorial, I did the spirals individually and they aren’t perfectly identical, but it isn’t noticeable when I wear them.

But if you do want to make two spirals as identical as possible, you could cut 2 pieces of wire the same size, and hold them together while making the open wire spiral. You might need to work a bit more slowly so you can keep your wires together (or tape them together with masking tape if it’s difficult to hold them together).

Let me know how you do! I’m interested to hear what you decide. πŸ™‚

• Rita says:

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing your tutorial.

• Jenna says:

thank you for the great video tutorial! So nice of you to share your knowledge, I don’t make jewelry but you never know when I might need something like this, I am crazy about the way that soft wire looks in crafts.

• Jennifer says:

Thanks for visiting Creative Crafts Thursday! I pinned your project (hope you don’t mind!). And I hope you’ll join me for my Friday Flash Blog and share your favorite pin of the week.

• Nice tutorial. I have made these, not for jewelry but home decor. thanks for sharing with us!

• Linda says:

You have amazing tutorials. Thanks so much for taking the time to make this available for everyone. Much appreciated. Linda

• Julie says:

Thank You for sharing this with Show Your Stuff.

• BeColorful says:

You make it all look easy peasy. πŸ˜€ Thanks for sharing.
    p

• Pamela says:

Awesome video! You make it look easy. Thank you for taking the time to teach this.

• I love how easy you make jewelry making seem. Thank you so much for sharing with Saturday Spotlight last week. I hope you come by today to share more of your awesome creations!

April

• Shirin says:

Thank you for this. Great video, very helpful.

• Maritza Diaz says:

Thank you for sharing the technique on making open spirals. I hammered with the round head and they turned out awesome.

• Joey Lewis says:

Rena i just love all of your videos ,books and tutorials -you are the best!!!I am an amateur when it comes to jewellery making and had great difficulty with wire until I started getting your monthly letters and all the wonderful stuff you send out there. Thank you so much -I have had so much fun . I have not found anyone who can provide direction like you do . You make it so easy to learn !!!And I am an old girl!!So you can teach an old girl new tricks !!Thanks Again.

• Teresa Dalton says:

Thank you Rena for all the beautiful ideas and tutorials. I appreciate your generosity and inspiration very much! I just watched your technique video on open spirals and it was great! I also wanted to mention the beautiful guitar music in the video, it is so peaceful and relaxing. Very talented artist, “both of you”! Thank you again for all you do!
    Happy regards,
    Teresa

• Teresa, thank you so much for your lovely message, and for sticking with me for so many years! πŸ™‚ I’m glad to hear how much you like the relaxing guitar music – I love it too.

• […] Move your pliers along the wire, making tiny curves, to create a small open spiral (if you’ve never made an open spiral, see my 3-minute video tutorial Make an Open Wire Spiral): […]

• Amber says:

Thank you so much for this tutorial, I have been scouring the internet for a simple “how to make a loop/spiral” for weeks! Everyone takes for granted that you know how to make the wire do what you want without bends and twists and curves that look like the wire got in a dog fight. Thank you so much – I am encouraged to try again!

• Amber, I’m so glad to hear that this tutorial is just what you were looking for! Thanks for letting me know – and please enjoy all of the free wire jewelry tutorials here! πŸ™‚

• Thank you, Rena for your tutorial. I like that it is clear, concise, and the music is pleasant. Very professional. Thank you, again.

• My pleasure, Janet! And thank you so much for your lovely comment! πŸ™‚