Do I Need A Business License to Sell My Jewelry?

by Rups.
(San Francisco, California USA)

My name is Rups and a novice in jewelry making.

I visited one small animal museum today and I asked that lady whether I can display and sell my handmade jewelry in that museum.

The museum lady said that they are always looking for local artist and I can talk to her manager who will be available next week.

Meantime I want to know the following:

1) Do I need to have a business name and license to put my jewelry there? Or in the beginning it is okay to do without it?

2) How many jewelry I should give initially?

Thank you so much.


FREE - Get 7 Super Jewelry Making Hacks

Get Rena's 7 Super Jewelry Making Hacks, plus the Jewelry Making Journal Newsletter - all for FREE.

We Respect Your Email Privacy

  • Val says:

    Hi Rups,
    You will need to check with your state. This information should be on their website. I had to register with my state since I need to collect sales tax for customers within my state. You will also need to check with your city/town since they may require you to get a business certificate for a minimal fee. It sounds scary but it is part of starting out!

    As far as how much jewelry to start out with, that is a personal call. The museum may be able to give you a better idea. Best of luck with your business. ~Val

  • Diana says:

    You might want to call City Hall and ask them. I live in Nevada, and I have a home based business (I work out of my home-no storefront). I registered my DBA (doing business as) with the State, have a State sales tax I.D number, and also a City Business License. There was a certain step by step procedure I needed to go through to make sure everything went according to the law. I sell at galleries, and since they collect the sales tax, I don’t need to collect it or file it on my quarterly returns. I would make sure you have everything taken care of before you sell to the museum as they may have some sort of requirements. Speak to the shop manager also and find out what their needs/wants are and then you should have an idea of how many pieces they may take initially. Good luck!

  • Bud Phillips says:

    I also live in CA. You will need to get a resellers permit to collect taxes. you might need to get a home occupation permit from your county. I don’t know if any city permits are need as i don’t know exactly where you live. Hope this helps

  • Cheryl Ellison says:

    Hello Rups,
    I agree with the others suggestions for your new business. I am from Texas. The State Comptrollers Office takes care of collecting state taxes. They are very helpful here and should show you exactly what to do.
    Our county office files the DBA and have examples you can follow to fill out this form. You also may need a bank account in you business name.
    Then there’s that matter of those pesky federal taxes for your business. If you have an accountant or CPA, they can help you with this. Consult them when you start your business so you know what receipts to keep. Also, obtain a mileage book (available at office supply stores). Note your starting mileage when you start your business. If you change vehicles during the year, note the beginning and ending mileage for each car. This is all available from your CPA. You will probably file a Schedule C for this business.
    You can use you sales tax permit also to purchase wholesale from many local and online businesses.
    You get used to all of this soon and it is not a daunting task. Ask lots of questions and good luck to you.

  • Denice says:

    Is City Of Hall where I can get a license,Right? How much it costs for a license for permit to sells my made bead bracklets?

  • Hi Denice, every town is different, so City Hall may or may not be where you’d need to go to get your paperwork done.

    Please see this post: Start a Jewelry Business for more details on getting your jewelry business set up.

    Wishing you all the best in your new jewelry business! 🙂

  • kelly says:

    thank you rups for asking the question and thank you to all who answered. it really helped me. hey rups… i’m not far from sf!!! petaluma. good luck

  • Sarah says:

    I am from Louisiana. I would like to start selling my bead bracelets online with Etsy. Do I need to first register with the state for a business license, seller’s permit, or etc. before I am able to sell on Etsy? If so, that means everyone on Etsy that is from Louisiana has a license /permit?

  • Hi Sarah, see this post: Start a Jewelry Business for the information you need to set up your jewelry business. Wishing you all the best with your new Etsy shop!

  • >