Colourful Silk Cord Necklaces

by Tamara Robertson.
(Sarnia, Ontario, Canada)

Colourful Silk Cord Necklaces by Tamara Robertson  - featured on Jewelry Making Journal

I’ve been ripping silk again! 🙂

I had another scarf in my drawer that I love the colours of, the shape not so much. So I decided to rip it in half lengthways, then I tied two of the ends together in a pretty way. That gives me a long scarf that I can drape around myself in a number of ways.

Because I had ripped it in the centre I ripped both of the end seams off to, to make it the same everywhere. As soon as I did, I saw that I had really cool, colourful necklace cords. Bonus!

I had fun finding some fun, colourful elements and beads in my stash to complement the pretty silk cords.

I doubled up the cord for the largest pendant, which had been an enamel earring, embellished by moi. The other two elements were a bit smaller, so just needed a single strand. The one that looks like a teardrop crystal (it’s glass), was an earring as well, and the light pink flower with the fuschia sparkly centre was a connector.

These were so fun to make, and a good way to use up bits and pieces. I’ll be on the lookout for more silk scarves! 🙂

Tamara Robertson
Pink Pearls and Potpourri

• The colors in these necklaces are a treat for the eyes, Tamara! I always enjoy seeing your designs made by repurposing other materials (like the scarves) as well as repurposing jewelry components – I love creating that way too. 🙂

• Tamara Robertson says:

Thanks, Rena! I just loved working with the beautiful bright colours here. And it’s satisfying to finally use components that you love, but have had for a while and haven’t had a chance to use in a piece of jewellery yet.

• Tamara,
    I agree with Rena, the colors you have used really POP!
    Another thing is, you have helped me in a presentation dilemma I have with a large statement pendant I made that just doesn’t look right.
    Now I know from your post that my issue is that the cording needs to be equivalent to the size of the pendant. Thank you!

• Tamara Robertson says:

Thank you Joybelle! I’m glad to have helped with your cord and pendant dilemma. We all learn from one another. 🙂

• Linda C says:

Wonderful creative idea. I am curious, do you have many different ways to finish your ends?

• Tamara Robertson says:

Thanks, Linda! About the ends, it usually depends on what I have in my supplies. I like to use what I have, so I try to find a way to do that. Sometimes it means I get a bit creative. 🙂 I happened to have these gold-toned crimps with holes, so that’s what I went with here.

• Carol says:

Tamara, Another source for some pretty silk can be found when you visit resale places look at the mens ties. I find some beauties that I remove the stitches and they are cut on the bias so ripping is out but cutting can give you some great pieces.

• Tamara Robertson says:

Oh, that’s a great idea, Carol! I never thought of looking for silk ties. And they’re inexpensive too. Just a nice little bit to do something with. Thanks! 🙂

• Alice says:

Tamara, love all the beautiful, cheerful color in these pieces. Working with metals all the time I found your fabric neck cords wonderfully inspiring. I have collected some things for this type of cord but have been at a loss as how to use them. Now the floodgates of ideas has opened thanks to your lovely pictures. I an excited to get busy experimenting – after I clear the residue from my latest projects. Now it’s my sisters turn to do ome wedding sewing, so it’s back to the garage for a bit.
    Thank you for sharing this technique with us. Love it.

• Tamara Robertson says:

Thank you for your lovely comments, Alice! I’m glad my little project has triggered some creative inspiration in you, once you clear the residue from your latest projects (I know what that feels like, lol!).