A Versatile Background for Photographing Jewelry

© by MaryLou Holvenstot; all rights reserved.

I’ve often taken my jewelry outside so that I can photograph it in a natural setting, but sometimes the weather just doesn’t cooperate.

Ring made from a button by MaryLou Holvenstot. Scrapbooking paper makes an interesting, non-competing background for photographing jewelry.

I’m just not satisfied with having all my jewelry photographed against a white background or on a model, so I’m always on the lookout for different and interesting ways to photograph the pieces.

One day as I was looking through my scrapbooking papers, I came across some interesting photographic papers.

I placed one of my bead woven bracelets on a paper that looks like parched earth, took some photos, and voila!

Another intriguing background for photographing jewelry: MaryLou's beadwoven bracelet poses on photorealistic cracked earth.

There are so many different scrapbooking papers out there, and the flat surface makes it easy to photograph. It keeps the background from taking over the jewelry, and in some cases it’s hard to tell it’s not the real thing!

Note from Rena:

Try MaryLou’s great idea of a scrapbooking paper background for photographing jewelry indoors, outdoors, or on a scanner!

Author and multi-creative artist MaryLou Holvenstot shows her work in her time2cre8 Etsy shop, and time2cre8 website.

She says, “I love making all kinds of things. I have supplies running out my ears, but that doesn’t stop me from finding more that I just can’t live without.”

In addition to jewelry, MaryLou’s other art forms currently include drawing, photography, cards, envelopes, gift tags, hang tags, magnets, and more.

• Chrissy says:

What a great idea. I have mastered taking photos on a white back drop. This will be fun to explore more options. Thanks for sharing.

• great way to have a variety of backgrounds without breaking the bank or spending hours on setup

• MrsRainbow says:

I agree that this is a good idea. I use scrapbooking sheets often for photography.

I have one sheet that looks like real snow… as I live in Lapland, Finland, we do have oodles of snow in winter… but the scrapbooking paper is a much nicer way to photograph….without freezing myself silly…or getting the item wet! 😀

• The photos are great but there is a caveat artists should be aware of. That is, that if one is taking photos for jurying these kinds of backgrounds are likely to get the work dismissed. It is important to design one’s shots not only to one’s tastes but also with consideration of what the images will be used for.

• Wow! What a treat and great idea…I never even THOUGHT about scanning the jewelry! I’m going to really work on this! Thank you sooooo much!!!

JewelryJeanne

• Dorothy Winn says:

Great idea! I started using srapbook paper because of the great graphics available. You can use seasonal backgrounds, themes e.g. graduations, weddings etc.

• Cheryl Feyen says:

I scanned all of the jewelry on my site MagickalDesigns.com. For the later ones I created a background from my logo that I printed and taped to the lid of my scanner. That way the background for all of the new scans is my logo.

• Kathleen says:

It is a fun way to photograph! I’ve been doing this for a couple of years now. Thanks for sharing!

• motidana says:

What a lovely post . I`m always having problems when it comes to posting photos of my jewellery on my blog . I feel , pictures do`nt do justice to my creations and it is because of my poor photography skills . Your article will heip a lot in increasing my skills and hopefully I will be happier with the photos . Thanks for sharing this lovely post.

• Holly says:

I’ve been using scrapbook papers for years. They offer a variety of backgrounds & take up very little space.

• I am new to jewelry making and this is a thoughtful and inspiring idea. Thanks for sharing.

• Carol Burton says:

I have been photographing my jewelry using fabric pieces. I also hang my earrings from cups. I love the idea of the scrapbook paper! I have several books, because I use scrapbook card stock for the borders around my business card to display my earrings. Thank you so much for the idea!